Thursday 4 March 2010

Internet revolution

Did you know that approx 1.7 billion people use the internet on a daily basis, imagine selling them all something for a penny? In the UK alone 10 million of us don't use the internet, know nothing about it or don't have access. I've been using the web for 10 years or so and I can't believe there are so many people who are unaware of it's versitility. My partners sons were very familiar with computers at an early age, it was second nature to them. I new nothing about computers or the internet, I was 45 and felt very awkward when they discussed terms I didn't understand - Wi Fi - Google - Email - Gigabytes and so on.


It was the embarassment ( The feeling of incompetence ) that gave me the urge to learn more. 'I'll show the little buggers' said I. Little -  LOL.They were over 20 years old. I decided to enroll at a local night school on a basic 'Learn to use a PC' coarse - I've never looked back. I can now design websites, send emails and search the world wide web. In fact the first thing I do when I arrive home from work is turn on my PC.

I've a brother who lives in Canada whom I can speak to on a daily basis by web cam, it's amazing! If you know someone who is apprehensive about computers or the world wide web please encourage them to learn -  it's not as frightening as they may think.

One of the most beneficial aspects of the internet has got to be keeping in touch with friends and family. Just imagine how many of our old folk sit night after night, lonely, afraid or bored. How good would it be for all of us to be able to keep in touch with them by web cam? My father has Dementia, so he wouldn't be able to use a computer at all. However I'm considering bying one to put in his flat so I can make sure he's ok on a night time when he's on his own.

Yes I think the invention of the internet is one of the most important steps forward in history. I wonder where it will end - I'd love to come back in a hundred years and take a peek!

Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment