Friday 12 February 2010

Friday's are precious!

Ever since I started work as a young 15 year old, Fridays have been special:
  • It's pay day
  • It's the end of the week
  • It's the beginning of the weekend
  • Friday is my obligatory night out
  • Relax have much beer and meet new friends
  • Lay in bed on Saturday morning - Hung over!
  • Stay up late and watch telly - Oh it's Monday - What happened to the weekend?
Fast forward 40 years:
  • I get paid by the month - direct debit
  • I'm tired after a hard weeks work
  • The grass needs cutting - Bedroom needs painting - The Garage needs cleaning and on and on!
  • It's too cold to go out
  • My friends are all in bed
  • I have to be up early in the morning
  • I'll be in bed by 11pm - Oh it's Monday - What happened to the weekend?
I always had a dream that by 50 I would employ a gardener/decorator/house keeper and do nothing. Which reminds me of a rich man driving through South Africa in his Rolls Royce. As he rounds a corner he spots a man sitting in the shade of an old tree chewing a piece of grass. "Hey," he shouts. "You wanna get off your lazy arse and get a job, earn sum money and become rich like me." "Then you can drive around and do what ya like." The man takes the grass out of his mouth and says "I'm doing it man - I'm doing it!" and goes back to chewing his grass.

My point really is: What ever you do - do what you most enjoy. What ever gives you the greatest pleasure because from 15 to 50 has gone by in a flash. I've spent most of the time chasing dreams instead of enjoying what I have. That has sadly caused me a lot of heartache - from now on I'm going to enjoy the nice things in life!
See ya soon

No comments:

Post a Comment