Friday 26 February 2010

Relaxation

Relaxation or meditation is one of the most important aspects of my personal life, it keeps me balanced, refreshed and clear minded. When I first meditated around twenty years ago, I just couldn't get the hang of visualisation or relaxatoin. I was more like a coiled spring waiting to move on to the next thing in my life. It was about six months before I fully fully relaxed and appreciated the value of it.

Shirley Ann my partner introduced me to relaxation and she has a barrow load of patience believe me, I was not an easy student to have. However her patience paid off and I'm eternally grateful to her. So my reasons for using meditation are of a selfish nature, I want to enhance my life.

In fact, I now describe Meditation & relaxation as visual relaxation because many people get confused with the Buddist version of meditation. I tried the Buddist way and very nice people they are but it was not for me, their version of meditation is more rigid in the fact that you're supposed to concentrate on one point rather than letting your mind wander as I do.

I go through a relaxation technique and then visualise a nice image such as a forest walk or a walk on the beach, somewhere that I feel safe. I then imagine taking a seat in that image and before you know it I've either fallen asleep or enjoyed a vision in my minds eye. Usually this vision is in colour, vivid and clear. It seems very real and I awake refreshed and ready for what is in store that day.

If I have a problem or I'm starting something new or need reassurance, I imagine asking the question in my head while I'm relaxed in this wonderful state. The best way I can describe this state of relaxation is to say it feels just as if I'm in a nice warm bath, cosy, safe and warm. Usually when I awake or bring my attention back to the room I'm in, I may or may not have an answer to my problem but I always feel I can face what ever I have to do in a calm, controlled manner.

Visual relaxation is the key to running a balanced lifestyle, reducing stress and ill health and using vision to see the pitfalls that lie ahead at work, sport or play.

If you have an interest in learning to relax contact us through our website @ http://www.barrychessman.com/


PS: If you think you cannot visualise or imagine anything try closing your eyes and imagine your own front door. Can you see it? What colour is it? Where is the letter box?
If you can see in your minds eye ant of these things you can go on to enjoy the sheer joy of visual relaxation classes.
Bye for now and keep warm it's cold today. (Well apart from Shirley & my mate Steve who are never cold - bless em!)

No comments:

Post a Comment